Ending of Great Expectations

The ending of Dickens' Great Expectations is notably ambiguous and has been the subject of critique since its release. Perhaps it is my romantic sensibilities, but I’ve always interpreted the last line as a sign that Estella and Pip end up together. The line is <I took her hand in mine, and we went out of the ruined place; and, as the morning mists had risen long ago when I first left the forge, so the evening mists were rising now, and in all the broad expanse of tranquil light they showed to me, I saw no shadow of another parting from her.

What are your thoughts? Is it a happy ending? Romantically happy or just being at peace as friends?

April 22nd, 2014

There are actually two versions of the ending! The original ending (“the shadow of no parting from her”) was the one I read first and, maybe for that reason, the one I prefer.

April 22nd, 2014

Still so vague though! 

April 22nd, 2014

Great Expectations is a great book, but neither Pip nor Estella is a particularly likeable character. Maybe it works–maybe they deserve each other?

April 22nd, 2014

…but the penultimate lines are:

“We are friends,” said I, rising and bending over her, as she rose from the bench.

“And will continue friends apart,” said Estella.

So, I am not sure, but I think what it is is that he will never part from her in his heart and soul, as deeply as she has been driven into it, and perhaps they will be friends, and he, at least will find a kind of peace with it all. Plus, you know how it is with Dickens sometimes. Maybe he is just implying they will meet in the afterlife.

If you want a truly satisfying ending, see Little Dorrit! And speaking of satisfying, so interesting that Bleak House is anything but bleak, and Satis house is anything but satisfying! Yet it will be razed to the ground and built anew. There’s hope there, I think!

April 22nd, 2014

@perfectrhyme they really are both terrible people, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say Pip is an anti-hero. @stupidpoet I really need to read Bleak House!

April 22nd, 2014

I like it in large part because it reminds me of this ending:

Som natural tears they drop’d, but wip’d them soon;
The World was all before them, where to choose
Thir place of rest, and Providence thir guide:
They hand in hand with wandring steps and slow,
Through Eden took thir solitarie way.

April 22nd, 2014

@TheScrivener wow – I really see the parallels! What is that from?

April 22nd, 2014
April 22nd, 2014

@TheScrivener I really need to get on reading more classics…

April 22nd, 2014

@TheScrivener also, in the Ethan Hawke/Gwyneth film, Ms. Havisham’s home is called Paradiso Perduto

April 22nd, 2014

And while we’re all on the subject of famous last words: http://flavorwire.com/452685/the-memorable-last-words-of-literary-characters/

April 22nd, 2014

@Skinnyem21 Nice link, I really must check it out.

I am really beginning to think that Bleak House is Dickens' most perfect novel, although it’s been a while since I read David Copperfield, which I used to think the most perfect. Little Dorritt is my favorite, though, despite the flaws is the subplots. I suggest reading them in sequence.

April 24th, 2014

@stupidpoet so read Bleak House, David C, and then Little D?

April 24th, 2014

Just to riff off @TheScrivener ’s observation, the very beginning of Wordsworth’s Prelude recalls the same lines of Paradise Lost.

What dwelling shall receive me? in what vale
Shall be my harbour? underneath what grove
Shall I take up my home? and what clear stream
Shall with its murmur lull me into rest?
The earth is all before me.

April 24th, 2014

@Skinnyem21 No, sorry. I meant chronological sequence: Copperfield, Bleakhouse, Dorrit. But if you don’t want to tackle so many looong books in a row I really do suggest reading the last 2 back to back. The one really does seem to grow out of the other.

I find I prefer reading Dickens during the winter for some reason, though. Gives me a cozy feeling, I guess.

Are you by any chance in the San Francisco Bay Area? My Dickens/19th Century reading group is beginning Copperfield in June. Even if you are not nearby, you could read along and we could discuss as we go, if you like.

April 25th, 2014