Lots of so called etymologies are back tracked from where we are now.

Also, some are mistaken because the word has changed over time, giving an appearance of a source it never had.

April 17th, 2014

@stephen_j_p lol, thats why i keep the public aspect “Sanitary” and the creative aspect an ever expanding troupe of evidence or negation. scientifically proven means nothing in etymology…

And you cannot discount the fact PUNS had a massive influence on the development of language. We can LEARN MORE ABOUT the language if we database the anomalies bro… what i’m doing is making etymology more complete by developing concepts in separate lab thats not afraid to get its hands dirty and submitting the results to the same council for judgment. Whats wrong with being creative… I know ALL ABOUT ETYMOLOGY man… i’m just trying to be creative and look at it more objectively than the sticklers who adhere to the rules which i’m aware of; i’m acknowledging anomalies, which should be done!

Mr stephen, how exactly did Virus come to be named after a type of slimy poison?

April 17th, 2014

@Scottish-Lady Which has created a wall against any novelty in the field. we should also classify why ones that were proven wrong were proven wrong, and HOW; therefore we can protect against the same mistakes, or even revive some of the proven wrong ones to have some relative importance.

April 17th, 2014

@ewokABdevito I didn’t say there was anything wrong with being creative– I just said there was a difference between the actual etymology (etymology means the study of the origins of words– not just how some words look similar) of the word “virus” and noticing that it looks similar to vir.

The only rule about finding etymology is evidence– studying how the language has changed over time, going through historical documents to find out when a word was first used– in other words, the scientific method.

Here’s a screen grab from the Oxford English Dictionary online– even they are tentative about using PIE roots.

http://screencast.com/t/ZQLtEmeVV

April 17th, 2014

@stephen_j_p Did you even read my posts? lol.

April 17th, 2014

@ewokABdevito

Yes! I’m just trying to get across that we shouldn’t really use the word “etymology” unless we’re talking about historical linguistics. Your project is a great idea and I’m looking forward to seeing how it pans out, I;m just trying to make sure it doesn’t turn into pseudoscience.

April 17th, 2014

@stephen_j_p It is science on one side of the coin and psuedo science on the other; they are having a heated debate with another, but its all in this strange speak that has to do with a type of semantic hieroglyphic; we will station them in two separate houses; and we will act as translators for them and hopefully draw up some kind of treaty.

April 17th, 2014

@stephen_j_p It sounds fantastic, but we are in the future with brand new types of databasing technology. We HAVE to make RG THE PLACE for this new renaissance to be centered around.

That is my goal with every project i’m envisioning. To make the RG the new Center for our developing neo-renaissance culture.

April 18th, 2014

Here is the “a” page; it needs a pronunciation key, but other than that i think its fine.

Any critique

April 18th, 2014

Although I disapprove of her You Tube persona, the woman that made the Hot for Words videos might be a very good resource.

April 20th, 2014

@ewokABdevito Link seems to missing…

@areacode313 I’d never heard of her before. Pretty interesting way to discuss etymologies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfxeuSmNxEA

April 21st, 2014
April 21st, 2014

scientifically proven means nothing in etymology

@stephen_j_p already explained why that isn’t true.

@ewokABdevito , I think you might be interested in Derrida – he does have a lot of interesting ideas about puns and things, and he would tend to sympathize with your views on linguistics. You sound like you’ve already read him, so maybe I’m preaching to the choir.

I’m afraid I think it’s all great bosh, but more power to you if it’s your thing.

I am interested in more, er, traditional linguistics/philology, though my education in the field is limited. Just not sure yet if/how it’s practical to explore it on the site.

April 24th, 2014

@HailTheKing

I’m afraid I think it’s all great bosh, but more power to you if it’s your thing.

Amazing. In case you haven’t heard about it, check this out. Honorary doctorates: serious business.

@ewokABdevito The structure looks good— I’m interested to see how you choose to annotate it. Hmu if there’s anything I can help with.

April 24th, 2014

@HailTheKing LOL you mean this is what he already explained?

“it has been scientifically proven that our word “virus” descends from the Latin word virus and not vir.”

That is NOT an explanation. In fact it’s the opposite, it is using NOTHING to reinforce his argument.

Can you explain to me why my statement has no validity?

April 24th, 2014