#DAT GREAT FRENCH THO.

April 13th, 2014

#*DAT GREAT FRENCH NOVEL.

April 13th, 2014

Teriyaki Joe: Neo-Harlem Detective by Lupe Fiasco

#sorrynotsorry

April 15th, 2014

@Alcaeus A definitive grab has been made. For Part I of my degree (the first two years) we had to write primarily about British and Irish writing– though they fudged this to “Writing produced in the British Isles and Ireland” pretty much purely to include Eliot (and Pound to a lesser extent).

It’s weird, in some ways he embraced British culture wholesale (Anglicanism, his accent) but he said his poetry was still very much evident– and I think it continued to be so till the very end of his career. I’m thinking of the river parts of Four Quartets especially.

April 15th, 2014

@DetroitLeprechaun might b on 2 sumthin'

April 15th, 2014

@stephen_j_p let’s not forget he was from a Boston Brahmin family (despite his birthplace); they were often Episcopalians with accents mid-Atlantic at least. He mentions an American aunt riding to hounds, I believe – the Anglophilia was really built into his US background.

April 15th, 2014

@Bradapalooza Ha, you’re right, his long, spiderweb sentence style definitely didn’t catch on, nor his very obsession with the aristocracy (if not disdain for the common man, hehe), but good point, there is something very american about juxtaposing contrasting images. Good looks. Our other british writer seems to be quite fond of that as well.

@griffinmahon ha he can be such a douche, but he does write so well in the little I’ve read of him, and seems like a pretty smart dude, at least very well read. I hear the first 100 so pages of the corrections is like pretty exemplery of high post modern writing. LMFAO Junot Diaz hitting hard as always

April 15th, 2014

because it doesn’t get more amurican then Winn~Dixie

April 15th, 2014

@Andyou Actually, Winn Dixie falls into second behind Ingles, which advertises “American Owned” on the front of its store.

#MURICA

April 15th, 2014

@Mr_Varnell there isn’t a book abt it tho ;)

April 15th, 2014

Clearly, then, the great American novel MUST take place at least partly within an Ingles

April 15th, 2014

Moby Dick is the ONLY truly canonical U.S. book ever written – also the annotation of it on the site is BOMB! Moby-Dick (Chap. 41: Moby Dick)

But overall, british literature wipes the floor with American literature. Dickens, Thackeray and Thomas Hardy – any single one of them is better than every U.S. author ever, combined

I mean…listen to THEIR accent…and then listen to OUR wack-ass accent…

April 16th, 2014

@Maboo But we have better comics and graphic novels. Speaking of which…

#ANOTHER CURVE BALL

Introduced an idea and character that has captured the imagination of readers worldwide for almost a century, and maintains relevance in popular culture to this day! How many other pieces of literature did that?

April 16th, 2014

Haha, @Maboo, superb literary trolling

I read Moby-Dick purely to impress a girl. It didn’t work, but I kind of enjoyed it. Particularly the 20-page sections about knots and ropes. I think it stands up to the best British novels.

April 16th, 2014
0 new posts. Show

Create an account to post a reply!