Education Genius – Teaching With Rap GeniusFollow
Rap Genius is not just for rap, it's a platform for annotating ANY TEXT
• Rap Genius is home to hundreds of literary, historical, scientific, and musical texts--it's a free, online literature anthology or history textbook!
• Students and teachers can view crowd-sourced, Wikipedia-like explanations of texts line by line
• At Rap Genius, students don’t just read summaries of texts as at other “study” sites, but read the works of literature themselves alongside annotations
• Explanations on Rap Genius can include images, video, links, etc. that bring texts to life
• Students and teachers can use our Glossary of Poetic Terms to explore textual examples of literary devices on the site
Rap Genius is a COLLABORATIVE ANNOTATION PLATFORM
• Students and teachers can explain and suggest explanations to classic works of literature and primary historical sources--if it's beautiful language, it's on Rap Genius! (or will be soon...)
• Students and teachers engage with each other and with a broader intellectual community online--it's the E-ACADEME!
• Students and teachers are empowered to become knowledge producers instead of passive recipients of knowledge
• Students can add videos, images and links in their arguments, practicing multimedia presentations skills--Rap Genius is the evolution of the book for the "ADHD Generation"
• Students can literally make analytic connections between various works of literature, and between classic literature and popular culture and history, by hyperlinking texts on the site
• The built-in Rap IQ™ feature of Rap Genius rewards excellent annotation and high-performing students
• Rap Genius user profile pages double as student portfolios to streamline feedback and assessment
Rap Genius can be used as a collaborative annotation platform for any text a teacher uploads to the site
• Teachers can house course texts at Rap Genius (as long as extant copies do not exist on the site)
• Students access course texts online free of charge (plus free of labor, cost, and daily frustration of photocopies!)
• Students can collaborate on explaining and annotating a course text online
• In-class discussion is enriched and energized by the online forum of Rap Genius, and the online forum continues and develops class discussion
• Teachers and students become editors of a course text, not just readers and discussants, contributing to online public knowledge
• The class contributes to a growing archive of texts and annotations that is the future of reading, thinking, and writing online!
Rap Genius can help students cultivate a number of TRADITIONAL ACADEMIC SKILLS such as…
Rap Genius also helps students cultivate a wide range of skills within the emergent field of DIGITAL LITERACY…
• Multimedia Presentation
• Visual Rhetoric/Visual Rhetorical Analysis
• Digital Citizenship
• Expanded Audience
• Social Reading, Thinking, and Writing
For more information on using Rap Genius in the classroom, contact Jeremy Dean, Education Czar at Rap Genius.
Edit the description to add:
- Historical context: the work's place in history, how it was received
- A summary of the work's overall themes (example: "Here, Byron evokes the classic struggle between virtue and temptation...")
- A description of the work's overall style and tone